#small business grants
Canadian Government Funding for Small Businesses
Mentor Works has worked with hundreds of SMEs across Canada to solve one wide sweeping issue: cash flow planning. The challenge facing most Canadian businesses is how to find and take advantage of suitable Canadian government grants and loans to assist with their cash flow and accelerate their growth. Browse a list of top small business funding programs to find out what your businesses can leverage:
List of Canadian Government Grants and Loans for Small Businesses
We have created a table of some of the most popular government grants for small business units in Canada, including repayable funding options, splitting them up into:
Each program has specific and unique eligibility criteria that you should review prior to applying to ensure your business and project are eligible. If you would like information on a specific program, please click on the program name to learn more. Have questions about the program? Fill out the form at the bottom of the program page, call our toll free number (1-888-599-3111), or send us a message via our Contact Form .
Receive up to $100k in grant funding towards an industry post-secondary collaborative research project to create new water technologies that will:
- Commercialize new water technologies
- Bring new water technologies to market
- Tap into the global water demand
Industry-led Research Development Stream: Supports pre-commercialization R D, leading to new agri-based products, processes, and practices.
- Combines industry, academia, government expertise to promote innovation
- Scope may be national, regional, or localEnabling Commercialization Adoption Stream: Accelerates the rate of identification, assessment, development and adoption of innovation-based products
- Commercialization projects of a new product or innovation
- Technology adoption projects to improve internal operations or end products
Provides non-repayable funding support to Canadian agriculture, agri-food, fish, and seafood industries by allowing them to identify market priorities and carry out marketing activities to develop export opportunities:
- Development and production of advertising materials
- Trade shows, conferences, and trade missions
- Implementing marketing and branding plans
Apprenticeship Job Creation Tax Credit
Supports the training and certification of new trades apprentices through wage subsidies. Credit covers the training of new trades employees.
Apprenticeship Training Tax Credit (Ontario)
Incentive to allow SME s to hire new apprentices in trades.
- Register new trades apprentices in sectors where there is high demand for skilled workers
Automotive Innovation Fund (AIF)
Supports the development of innovative, fuel-efficient new automotive products and processes to:
- Create knowledge-based jobs in Canada;
- Improve automotive sustainability and environmental impacts; and
- Improve Canada s competitiveness.
Automotive Supplier Innovation Program (ASIP)
Provides research and development grants to assist with innovative automotive product development. Ideal projects activities:
- Product engineering; and
- Pre-commercialization testing and validation.
Build in Canada Innovation Program (BCIP)
The Build in Canada Innovation Program is a first purchase program offered by the Canadian government.
- Pre-commerical, innovative product or service opportunity to bridge the commercialization gap
- Must be of use to the Canadian government by improving efficiency and effectiveness
Receive up to 66% or $10K in training grants per trainee to enhance your workforce.
- Most training that improves skillsets and career advancement is eligible.
- Training can be carried out throughout the calendar year.
- Program available from 2014-2020 with an annual funding pool of $192M in Ontario.
Grant for developing, producing, and promoting innovative, interactive software development projects including apps and video games.
- 3 streams: Development, Production or Marketing Promotion
- Covers up to 75% of eligible costs up to $400k/$1 million
- Canadian companies can apply if ≥75% of content is developed in Canada
Small businesses with $10M in annual gross revenues can receive loan funding for expansion activities up to $1M.
- Competitive interest rates
- Can apply at a financial institution or credit union
- May require a business plan