PROTEIN DIMERIZATION PARTNERS ARE DICTATED
BY THE DNA TARGET, NOT PROTEIN TARGET
Many genes are regulated by protein hetero- or homodimers. Shin et
al found that DNA bases outside the protein-DNA recognition target
determine the protein dimerization partner.
Shin Group, Molecular Biosystems. January 2017
THE ROLE OF DIMER ASYMMETRY AND
PROTOMER DYNAMICS IN ENZYME CATALYSIS
Prosser and coauthor Pai examine a homodimeric enzyme, fluoroacetate
dehalogenase, which converts a highly toxic pesticide into a harmless
metabolite, and explore the role of enzyme dynamics in the process.
Prosser Group, Science. January 2017
BIOFOULING-RESISTANT [K+ ] o SENSOR
FOR MONITORING EPILEPSY
A novel approach for in vivo spatio-temporal measurements of [K+ ] o
using multichannel monolayer coated gold microelectrodes reveals
new physiological events not previously seen during seizures in mice.
Thompson Group, Biosensors. December 2016
SOLAR POWERED REVERSE WATER
GAS SHIFT REACTION
The role of defects on the electronic & photocatalytic properties of
In2 O3-x (OH)y NPs for the reverse water gas shift reaction are revealed,
a key advance towards efficient catalysts for the CO2 reduction reaction.
Ozin Group, PNAS. December 2016
OXADIAZOLE GRAFTS IN PEPTIDE
A new macrocyclization reaction delivers cyclic molecules for
exploration in drug discovery.
Yudin Group, Nature Chemistry. December 2016
BOND SELECTIVE REACTION
Kelvin Anggara, Kai Huang and Lydie Leung in Polanyi’s group
have shown and explained a hundredfold bond-selectivity in
electron-induced reaction at a smooth metal surface.
Polanyi Group, Nature Communications. December 2016
UofT Chemistry students recognized with awards at CSC 2017
Congratulations to our students from UofT Chemistry who were recognized with awards for their posters and oral presentations at the 100th Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition!
– Carine Nemr (Kelley Group ), 1st place, Graduate Poster Competition, Analytic Division and RSC Chemical Science Poster Prize, All Divisions
– Jay Bassan (Nitz Group ), 1st place, Graduate Poster Competition, Biology and Medicine Division
– Louie Fan (Stephan Group ), Graduate Poster Competition, Chemical Education Division
– David Grewer (M. Simpson Group ), Graduate Poster Competition, Environment Division
– Kai Yang Wan (Morris Group ), Graduate Poster Competition, Inorganic Division
– Loryn Arnett (Winnik Group ), 1st place, Graduate Poster Competition, Materials Division
– Roman Korol. (Segal Group ), 1st place, Undergraduate Poster Competition, Physical, Theoretical and Computational Division
– Claudia Alvarez (Kanelis Group ), 1st place, Oral Competition, Biology and Medicine Division
News and Announcements:
Barbara Sherwood Lollar cross-appointed to the Department of Chemistry
We are pleased to welcome Professor Barbara Sherwood Lollar. who has been cross-appointed to the Department of Chemistry.
A Professor in Earth Sciences, Barbara is a graduate of Harvard (B.A.) and the University of Waterloo (Ph.D.) and carried out postdoctoral research at the University of Cambridge. She is a Canada Research Chair in Isotopes of the Earth and Environment, and Past-President of the Geochemical Society.
Artur Izmaylov and Xiao-an Zhang promoted to Associate Professor
Congratulations to our newly promoted faculty members at UTSC, Artur Izmaylov and Xiao-an Zhang. both of whom have been granted tenure and promoted to the rank of Associate Professor.